Friday, October 24, 2008

Return of the Temp!


So the Temp is back in my life...sorta.

I needed to call him for some info that he's been hoarding. Specifically, the password to his online account with one of our vendors.

This man never met a phone call he couldn't drag out past 20 minutes if you let him. He seems to thoroughly enjoy them. It gets to the point where telemarketers hang up on him.

He was so pleased with himself when he "informed" me that the Happy Cappy Investment team had its very own sales rep, like he had found the lost city of Atlantis. Yeah, you tend to get a your "very own rep" when you literally order tens of thousands of dollars of supplies from a company annually. I'm sure he called her up as soon as he got her number and bored her to death. My sincerest apologies to the rep.

I bring this up because while I was having the time of my life in Amsterdam (alas, it was only a month ago) the Temp was supposed to order desk fans for some of the traders who work late into the night. After a certain hour the building turns off the air and the floor can get pretty warm until the AC comes on again at 6am. Well, the Temp ordered the fans but they were backordered. By the time I got back the fans hadn't arrived. So of course he went to cancel them in the manner of a crazy person.

Here's what I, a sane person, would have done. I would have logged into my online account and canceled the order. Ta da! [No need to applaud.] In fact, that's what I do every time I cancel orders.

Shortly before I left for Europe I set up an temporary account for the Temp that had some restrictions on it. I won't bore you with the details. Let's get back to Crazy.

So the Temp's attempt to cancel the order over the the phone was a little tricky since he didn't have the order number, the company account number or the date of the order when he made the call. This man can't bring himself to throw away one sheet of paper yet he does not have this information in front of him. I don't get it.

In short he made a call that went something like this "I'm the Temp from the Happy Cappy Investment Team and I need to cancel an order of fans...No I don't have the order number...No I don't have the company account number...I don't remember the date...I'm the Temp from the Happy Cappy Investment Team and I need to cancel an order of fans..."

Needless to say, this was too painful to watch so I left my office. I came back 20 minutes later. He was still getting his phone groove on so I left again. The next attempt to enter my office finally found him wasting considerable energy on some other ridiculous endeavor. I then ordered the fans from another company which arrived a few days later. Traders rejoiced.

Skip to yesterday, more fans arrive. In fact, the exact amount I ordered but from the original company the Temp ordered from. I wish I could say that the Temp lied and never canceled the order. I could respect that. He's a temp. By the time anyone figures it out he'll be gone so, whatever. Sadly, he's not that smart. I fully believe that he really thought he canceled the order.

Being lazy and not doing your work doesn't take any time, so hats off to that. But spending all that time to do your job badly. I don't get it.

Long story short, I called up the Temp to get his password to his online account and now have to re-establish his account since it expired and then send back the fans.

This is all very annoying.

No comments:

Alas, no more.

Alas, no more.