Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Are You Minutes from Death? I'd Love to Help but I Didn't Sign my Certification Card


So we had CPR training at the Happy Cappy Investment Team the other day. Bravo for HCIT. I am now able to potentially save someone's life. That makes me a potential hero. I deserve a potential medal.

Is that worthy of a blog entry? Of course not.

What IS worthy of a blog entry? Let me tell you.

Once the hour-long course was over we were given these cards certifying us. However, one person would not sign their card.

Now, you're probably asking yourself "D Money, why would they take the course but not sign the card?" Good question my attentive storytellee.

As it turns out, because HCIT paid for the certification all of us who attended the class are legally obligated to perform CPR on anyone who goes down and needs CPR attention within HCIT as well as the rest of the building.

HCIT paid for the class and I have to save someone's life who needs it. Sounds like a good deal to me. But this person doesn't want to have to be that person who's "obligated" to save some selfish asshole who's too lazy to make his own heart beat.

Now, keep in mind this person is protected by both the Good Samaritan law and HCIT's insurance. This person wants to pick and choose who lives and dies I guess. (I believe that's called a god complex.)

The nerve of some people.

3 comments:

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

you hear about these people who get sued for injuring someone while they are saving their life ... you know like cracking a rib during an overzealous heimlich or something. maybe your co-worker only wants to perform CPR on people who don't seem litigious.

Conor said...

I've updated the post to address just such a concern.

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

that good samaritan statue is creepy. i don't think we should be depicting laws in sculptures.

Alas, no more.

Alas, no more.